팝업닫기
찾으시는 내용이 있으신가요?
사이트 내 전체검색
Busan University of Foreign Studies Metaverse Campus

Busan University of Foreign Studies Metaverse Campus

Students can easily access BUFS campus in the Metaverse

Managing Editor Seo Yun-chan

danseo123@naver.com

I n the 2020's, the world has shifted its focus to social network services. A few years ago, platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter comprised the center of the social media universe. However, now, this new platform, Metaverse, helps people from all around the world gather for social groupings. Facebook owner, Mark Zukeberg, even changed his company's name to Meta. This shows how important the Metaverse is now and how much more of an impact it is going to have on internet users. Anyone with an internet connection now can access the Metaverse, a whole new and different world, to see their friends, and even make new friends.

Busan University of Foreign Studies has also taken interest in this platform. This new social networking platform could be a hotspot for students to gather. They began to start working on a platform exclusively for the students at BUFS. Officially released on July 8, with support from the University Innovation Support Company, the E-learning Center of BUFS was able to finish its Metaverse Campus. An exact digital copy of the campus was produced for the internet environment. This Metaverse Campus was named 'BGL - BUFS Global Lounge'.

In BGL, students can move freely to wherever they want, although they are limited to the campus grounds only. They can get information about the buildings, places, and the Metaverse environment. If they meet their friends, they can communicate with each other through chat. BUFS also decided to hold the graduation ceremony in BGL. Since many students were unable to attend the ceremony in person, BUFS allowed the graduates and other students to participate via BGL.

Accordingly, the graduation ceremony scene is still accessible in BGL. Now that BGL is available to all students, BUFS is expecting to have more students enjoy campus life both off- and online. With more conveniences provided like this, students are more likely to take more interest in their university.

Ryu Dae-hoon, who experienced Metaverse graduation, said, "I couldn't go to the graduation ceremony because my school and home were far away. It was sad that I couldn't take the last picture at BUFS. However, I was very happy to hear that I could take a picture using a Metaverse. Although my picture is not actually taken, it was very fresh to take it with an avatar. It was enough to lead a new genre of graduation culture. The method was also easy when I followed what was posted on the university's website notice. It was good that the school held various events in line with the rapid change of the times."

BUFS2022. 10. 4조회수207