팝업닫기
찾으시는 내용이 있으신가요?
사이트 내 전체검색
Controversy About SPC's Attitude And Treatment Of Employees

Controversy About SPC's Attitude And Treatment Of Employees

SPC's identity revealed at the expense of college girls and others

Reporter Kim Kyu-young

kyuyoung0409@naver.com

SPC SAMLIP has been under constant controversy over using power over its employees. There are several common brands that belong to SPC; 'Paris Baguette', 'Baskin Robbins', and 'Dunkin Donuts'. It should be noted that there are a lot of employees in SPC who are being subjected to unfair working conditions. Recently, people who have worked for SPC have expressed, saying that there are many workers do a lot of unfair work. In October, a young college student was killed because of the power abuse of SPC. Despite this situation, people are only talking about boycotting these brands, but nothing is actually being done at all.

The incident was caused when a girl was caught in a mixing machine at the SPC plant in Pyeongtaek. This is not the only case in which a person has been killed by a mixing machine. In as many as five years, 17 people have died from being caught in a mixing machine, but no one has come up with a solution. It is said that there was no cover for the mixing machine, and there was no automatic safety device for the machine to stop when the cover was opened. Since fewer than 50 factories use mixers, they are excluded from the machines that need to be inspected by the state. 

Therefore, employees are using these machines without having had any safety education. In addition, it seems that there is also a high risk of miscarriage for pregnant employees, but SPC has avoided any action in this matter by requiring employees to sign a memorandum stating that the company could not be held responsible in the case of an employee suffering a miscarriage. Employees have always been unhappy with SPC's unfair practices. Some employees were asked to work twelve hours a day, and even though employees usually work in pairs, only one person was asked to work. People have started boycotting the company because of these incidents, but only franchisees are in pain. While there are people who actively boycott SPC companies whose profits are behind the accident, more and more people do not boycott because it is not their job.

Even at the funeral hall of the college student who died in the accident, SPC reportedly gave only bread without an apology. For companies where profits are more important than people, the public should join forces. A 21-year-old part-time worker for SPC brand Baskin Robbins said, "I am just a part-timer, and I am so self-conscious and sorry about working. However, I also work because I have to earn money. When it is not a working day, I hate just looking at SPC-related brands." Also, a 23-year-old part-timer working for SPC brand Paris Baguette said, "People are too powerless to do anything. However, our people must continue their boycott. It is a pity for franchisees. It is so upsetting that it is not SPC companies that are hurting, but the store owners."

More than ten people have died while working at the SPC plant, without any consequences for the company. To this end, Koreans should pay more attention to boycotts. We can only prevent any further accidents if we pay attention to protecting all of us without turning a blind eye to things which are not related to us.  

BUFS2022. 12. 29조회수171